On the last day of our road trip up the East Coast, we stopped in New York City. Unfortunately, we only had about half a day there, which leaves not much time to really to explore the city. Since time was short, we decided each person could pick one thing that we would do in the city.
- Macy’s on 5th Avenue
- Central Park (specifically the Alice in Wonderland state)
- Empire State Building
- M&M’s World in Time Square
Other Things We Wanted to See or Do
- Eat New York style pizza
- Take a “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” photo at Tiffany’s on 5th Avenue
- See the Statue of Liberty
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial
When we finally got into the city our plan was to work from downtown to uptown with the exception of Central Park. First on our list was the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty. We did get to see the Statue of Liberty, but from Battery Park.
Next up was a stop at the 9/11 Memorial. It’s quite a sight to see due its sheer size. Engraved along the sides of the memorial are the names of those who died during the attack on the World Trade Center.
As for the Empire State Building, we counted going into the lobby of the Empire State Building. (Yes, I know the lobby doesn’t really count as visiting the Empire State building…but we were pretty short on money by this point and tickets start at $37…).
And here’s the “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” photo, although technically it was around six in the evening…
Tips for Visiting NYC
- The easiest way to get around is the subway. It costs $3 for a one way ticket. You can also get a re-loadable card.
- Try to look like a local. Don’t walk around with a map in front of your face. That’s a dead giveaway and people will try to get you to take their tour or visit an attraction.
- Don’t eat anywhere near Time Square. You’re likely to pay more and there’s much better food elsewhere.
- Don’t try to cram too much into one day. One of the best ways to see the city is to just walk around.